Wednesday 28 January 2009

What is so different about Kindermusik?...


When I fell pregnant with Ellie, I knew that I would never want to return to full time school teaching. I knew what I wanted to do. I had always been passionate about music education and set about finding a programme suitable for young children. I looked at lots of programmes, most were franchises which I did not want to get involved in. Nothing inspired me, most seemed to focus on entertainment and I could find nothing which valued children as inquisitive individuals eager to learn.
I stumbled on Kindermusik quite by chance. There were only 3 people teaching it in the country back then. As soon as I saw it I loved it. I loved the way it was so securely linked to child development. I loved the way it encouraged individuality and creativity. As a musician I also loved the depth and breath of the musical repertoire. I never thought I would enjoy listening to a CD aimed at children, but here were recordings rich in acoustic live music with such diversity.
Research suggests that regular musical activity is crucial for the developing brain. I believe this wholeheartedly and I also believe in all the smiles, cuddles, inquisitive gazes, kisses, bounces and tickles we enjoy in class.
Never have I had more job satisfaction.

No comments: